LEDbloke SunArray x16 Geisemann Infiniti Halide/T5 Hybrid Conversion/Retrofit

Well the title probably gives away what’s going on with this project, but we have here a Geisemann Infiniti Halide/T5 that’s had a bit of my attention recently:

With the covers removed and one of the reflectors out, the wiring can be worked out…

The power feed to the halide is 3-core, that’s convenient… One of the wires is already earthed, that’s even more convenient… Perhaps it can be fed with GND (earth), +48V and +12V?!

Hmm, here’s the halide bit out… where’s the bin? :wink:

These heatsinks seem to fit spot on… The profile doesn’t allow for the best airflow but they are a hefty heatsink for the job and the chassis will act as a heatsink too. A little forced airflow installed later will help…

They are our 200mm x 100mm x 40mm profile:

Custom cut brackets to hold them in place…

Mark the holes to drill into the chassis and the heatsinks…

Drill using a 2.5mm bit…

Job done…

Mark and drill the fixing holes for the LED arrays…

A thin layer of thermal compound applied beneath the LED arrays, then they and the brackets screwed down in place, using no4 self tappers…

Starting to take shape…

A dupont connector for the temperature sensor…

We need +5V, Data and GND…

I’m using a Storm X controller, which poses a slight problem… There’s no +5V output to use… BAD design!

So solder a wire to a +5V pin… Problem solved!

Remove part of the chassis to make room for the controller to fit…

Crimp some wire to an eyelet connector for the GND feed. Two feeds are needed - one to go to the controller and drivers, another for fans…

Feed the GND wire through, now we have a feed for +48V, +12V and GND…

Arrange power distribution… +48V, +12V and GND feeds, distributed as +12V and GND for the controller and +48V and GND for each of the 5x drivers.

We’re using the following drivers:

LDD-1500HW for Cool Whites
LDD-1500HW for Royal Blues
LDD-1000HW for Blues
LDD-500HW for UVs
LDD-700HW for Photo Red

All available here:

Connect up the power feeds…

Sit it all down nicely…

Connect the DIM wires from each driver to jumper wires to go to the controller…

Connect the driver power outputs to the LED arrays - we’ll connect each channel to +ve and loop, since we’ll be chaining the two arrays…

Cut out for the controller…

Controller mounted…

And protected…

All sat in place…

Taking shape…

Wire in a feed from the +12V coming in, in order to power the fans…

I now wanted to fire the controller up to test everything is working as it should…

The controller lit up and the screen showed the software was working as it should, apart from one thing - the temperature was not showing up… We can’t have that! The built-in temperature sensor is one of the nicest features of the array, it’s legs are soldered directly to the copper core - need to fix this!

According to the first page of the controller’s manual, pin D12 is the data pin for the DS18B20 temperature sensor. We have +5V, and GND, and I connected the data pin to D12…

This is D12 right?

Must be? Right? I mean, according to the labels on the board…?! The label, like, RIGHT next to it?!! And no I havn’t confused the rows, I know the row at the bottom is the row nearest to the board…

So why isn’t the temperature sensor working then???

Because that’s NOT D12!

Let’s read more pages of the datasheet…

Hmm!!!

That does NOT reflect the labels on the board!

After the data pin was connected to the opposite side, and what seems to be labelled as a GND pin on the board :whistling: everything works great…

I was wondering why my multimeter was showing up -5V :whistling:

I then noticed the other labels above and knew I shouldn’t be DIYing at this time of night :rolleyes:

After my huffing and puffing was over, I fired it up and took a look at the screen…

Yes, it’s 28.5C at NIGHT here, and I have my air conditioner running!

All that’s left now is to chain the arrays, easy peasy, finished in a few mins…

Powering up…

Let there be light!

Dimmed at 1/4095…

2/4095…

5/4095…

10/4095…

4095/4095…

What happens when the output of the LED array is dropped from 100% to around 20% and the response of the array to the power drop and the speed at which the heat is dissipated away…

+12V and GND is taken through to power the fans…

Fans are installed and connected to power…

One last test to make sure everything is running fine…

Replace T5 reflectors and tubes…

The stock covers over the halide unit were removed and replaced with a full-length glass sheet cut to size…

Test it all one last time… Looking good :slight_smile:

Tada!